As a key member in a multi-disciplinary Systems Engineering team, the Electrical Controls Engineer designs, develops, and tests all aspects of electronics and electrical control systems for custom-built micromanufacturing systems and other types capital equipment used for life science applications. The individual also applies engineering and scientific principles to evaluate and improve processes or solve manufacturing challenges, with emphasis on circuits, controls, electronics, vision, and automation.
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary systems engineering team to provide technical support for various design & development projects.
- Prepares, manages, and maintains material specifications for computer, electrical and electronic based systems, PLC, an HMI.
- Write controls software applications on various system platforms (e.g. motion controller, servo motors, pneumatic controls, machine vision engines, laser scanner, part handling, automatic inspection, etc.).
- Support setting up, debugging, testing, and qualifying systems software and hardware on various machines
- Test and debug various electrical, electro-optical and electro-mechanical hardware and software interfaces (e.g. digital and analog I/Os, motors, lasers, cameras and other devices).
- Develop action plans/schedules and provide timely technical status (mechanical, electrical, software) and coordinate activities with senior management
- Create documentation such as user manuals, programming diagrams, I/O diagrams, and electrical schematics
- Solves problems analytically using the structured problem-solving methods (e.g. DMAIC, 8D, A3, RCCA) and the scientific methods (e.g. hypothesis testing, design of experiments).
- Support the sustainment of current products (e.g. continuous improvement, engineering changes, manufacturing specifications, troubleshooting, manufacturing support)
- Facilitates the training of technicians in various areas of electronics, PLC, controls, and electrical repair.
- Minimum Bachelor of Science Degree in software, electrical engineering, or related fields (preferably from ABET-accredited institution).
- Master of Science Degree is a plus.
- Minimum of 2 years of directly related experience (3-6 years is a preferred)
- Experience with electrical design for the development of electro-mechanical capital equipment for high-volume production environment (preferably for medical devices and/or life sciences).
- Experience in programming PLC’s and HMI
- Experience working with state/federal regulations and industry standards including NAFPA. UL, IEC, ISO, and CE
- Proficient in the design of electrical circuits and controls for electro-mechanical & opto-mechanical systems
- Proficient in the creation of electrical schematics & drawings (preferably in SolidWorks)
- Proficient with Circuit Analysis & Troubleshooting to Component Level
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, and Teams
- Hands-on troubleshooting skills will be required for installation, commissioning, and startup activities
- Strong cause-effect analytical abilities to solve problems
- Experience working with Solidworks Electrical and Solidworks PDM
- PLC’s, HMI’s, Motion Controls, Vision Systems – Robotics is a plus.
- Visual Basic, C++, C#
- Strong understanding of systems integration – static/dynamic mechanical technology, electrical control technology, software programming, and firmware.
- Able to use tools such as oscilloscopes, digital volt meters, signal generators/analyzers, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, LabView, for development/debug
- Takes initiative & able to work with little to no supervision in a collaborative multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to communicate in a clear & concise manner – written and oral
- Maintain flexible and pragmatic can-do attitude
- Act with a sense of urgency, accountability, resilience, and persistence
- May need to access tight space inside system enclosures.
- Able to objects up to 50 lbs
- Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in designated areas
If qualified, apply now. Job title and job location must be included in the application.
To apply for this job, email your details, the job title and job location to firstname.lastname@example.org
Limitations and Disclaimer: The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.